I have had a lot of people ask me why I married so young. In fact a lot of questions about our wedding day, honeymoon, living out of home, blogging, traveling and careers. So I’m going to take advantage of it and write more on these topics. Writing honestly, simply and just being real. Real about why marriage can be hard, why moving out of home is tricky, the reality of friendship circles changing, careers and money and trying to travel when you don’t have much time or money. As I’m 21 I’m still learning so please be gentle..
But first things first and that’s why I think marriage, better yet being married young is the best thing ever!
The twenty-one year old wife
1. Growing old together. I like to think of marriage as doing life with your best friend. At the end of my life I want to be able to look back on it with my best friend and be able to laugh and smile at the adventure we shared.
2. Knowing each other at your prime. This one sounds funny but I mean prime as in youth and energy! It would have been so sad to miss out on my husband’s 20’s and all the silliness and fun that comes with being young. I like that we have known each other from a young age and we will know each other at an older age too!
3. Time. For some reason when you are younger you have more time. And I love having more free time with my husband! I know that when kids and school and mortgages come into the equation our time will be more scarce. But for now I love taking time slowly with my hubby whether it be walking by the beach in the morning or watching TV series all night long.
4. Friends. Friendship circles are constantly changing and will continue to change when you get married. Once everyone knows you as Mr and Mrs, its really amazing all the new people you meet from your other halves life. And people definitely treat you differently as a couple once you are married.
5. Homes. This one is a favourite. I love starting off in a silly apartment with an old couch, hand me down mattress and a dining table from the side of the road. I love that this is the first of many homes which we make ours.
6. Mistakes. You can only get better. And practice makes perfect. It’s nice knowing we don’t have to be too harsh on ourselves and the roles we are playing as husband and wife. We’ve got our whole life to perfect it. Even if we never perfect it (which we won’t) its about the journey not the destination!
Now I totally don’t mean this as a post to say sucked in if you aren’t married. Some of us just haven’t found the right person yet and that is totally ok! This is more about changing and challenging society’s mindset about marriage being the worst thing that ruins relationships and should be left until you are like thirty or fourty. Because that is totally wrong! Marriage is about commitment and if you have met the right person, the one, then why not! What’s stopping you? It honestly is the best journey to be on – doing life with your other half, your soul mate.
I hope to both inspire and encourage you on whatever journey you are on. Do all things with great love.
Love A x